Happy Parrot Privacy Principles
Happy Parrot Privacy Principles
- We’re deeply committed to creating a safe and secure online environment for all of our users.
- We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We established ourselves as a not-for-profit organization so that our mission of education and your trust will not be in conflict with a for-profit motive.
- We strive to provide you with access to and control over the information you give us, and we take the protection of your information very seriously.
- We take extra precautions for our youngest learners. Specifically, we have designed the app registration process to minimize the collection and use of personally identifiable information.
- We do not display advertising on Happy Parrot . Our mission is to provide you with a better learning experience, not to sell you products.
About Happy Parrot
1. What information do we collect?
We collect personal information and usage information when a parent (“Parent” or “You”) downloads and uses the App, including:
- When you sign up for an account on the Happy Parrot app, we collect your email address. When you click on our email to verify your email address, we will collect your IP address and approximate location at the city or zip code level where you verified the email address. If you choose to establish an account so you may access the App across various devices, we will collect your password. We may collect additional information from you if you contact our technical support team, send us an email, complete a user survey, or otherwise communicate with us.
- During account registration, we ask you to provide the name and age of your child. We recommend you select a nickname or silly name for your child’s user name, and do not use your child’s real name, for additional security purposes. We do not ask for or collect any additional personal information from your child.
- We collect information about how you use the App, such as the features you use and the time spent on the App. We associate this information with an internal account ID we assign to you for our internal purposes, including, for example, to help us recognize you across devices you use to access the App and personalize your experience based on your last App use. We may also collect other information from your device(s) or from the app store through which you downloaded the Happy Parrot app. This includes information of additional devices linked to your account, including any device(s)your child uses to access Happy Parrot . For example, we may collect information about the device(s) you, and the children accessing our App through your account, use to access the App (e.g., mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, mobile device operating system brand and model, preferred language). We may collect analytics data to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the App and to understand more about the demographics of our users. We use this information to customize the function and appearance of the App based on information related to your account (e.g., the age of your child and your device settings).
2. How we use the information we collect
We use the information we collect to:
- Operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features of our App.
- Personalize your experience while using the App, including on various devices you use to access the App. For instance, we may remember your recent activity so we can recommend the most appropriate curriculum and content for you on your next visit.
- Communicate with you about your account and account activity (such as your child’s progress) and to respond to inquiries. From time to time, we may also use your information to send you emails about CIE Vietnam and our other websites and services that may be of interest to you.
- Understand and analyze the usage trends, behaviors, and preferences of our users, to improve the way the App works and looks, and to develop new features and functionality.
- Maintain, develop, support, and improve our App and other educational products and services.
3. How we share or transfer data to others
We care deeply about the privacy of our users. We do not rent or sell your personal information to third parties for their own purposes without your consent. We share or disclose your personal information only as needed to provide our service and in the following circumstances:
- . We may share information with our trusted vendors, third party service providers, and individuals to provide services or products for us or on our behalf, which may include hosting, email delivery, and business administration or professional services (e.g., legal advisors, accountants). When we share personal information with third party service providers or vendors, these third parties are contractually obligated to maintain the security and confidentiality of that personal information.
- . We may share information in aggregated and/or anonymous form that cannot reasonably be used to identify any individual.
- . We may disclose personal information if we have a good faith belief that such disclosure is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process, or enforceable governmental request; (b) enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations thereof; (c) detect, prevent or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues; (d) protect the rights, property, or personal safety of CIE Vietnam, our users or the public; or (e) as required or permitted by law.
4. Marketing, advertising and email communications
CIE Vietnam may, from time to time, send you email regarding our products and services, or products and services we think you may enjoy. Only CIE Vietnam (or our vendors or service providers operating on our behalf) will send you these emails. You can choose not to receive these emails by clicking the unsubscribe link in any email. Please note that you are not permitted to unsubscribe or opt-out of non-promotional messages regarding your account, such as account verification, changes or updates to features of the App, or technical or security notices.
We do not display any targeted advertising in the Happy Parrot App. We do not permit third parties to collect information about your use of the Happy Parrot App for the purpose of sending you targeted advertisements on other websites or applications. Although we are unable to recognize Do Not Track signals set by your browser, we do not engage in activities which track our users across other websites or mobile apps over time.
However, outside of the Happy Parrot app, we may engage in interest-based advertising to deliver online advertisements about our App, and may use third party advertising companies to serve targeted advertisements on other websites, apps or services, including on Facebook and other social networks. These advertisements are not based on the personal information we collect from you or on your activities on our App, though you may see one of these advertisements based on your activities on other websites or services (for instance, if you type “learning mobile app” into an online search engine, you may see an advertisement for Happy Parrot ).
5. How to access, update or delete your personal information
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to update or delete your personal information.
We may not be able to delete information in all instances, such as information retained in technical support logs and other business records. We may retain information which has been de-identified or disassociated with personal identifiers such that it can no longer be used to reasonably identify a particular individual.
6. Our approach to data security
Data security is important to you, and to us. We use certain physical, managerial, and technical safeguards designed to preserve the integrity and security of your personal information and other information we maintain in connection with our App. However, no security system is impenetrable, and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information. In the event that any information under our control is compromised as a result of a breach of security, we will take reasonable steps to investigate the situation and will notify you of the security incident in accordance with applicable laws and regulations.
7. How do we protect Children’s Privacy?
Our App is intended to be used by children under 13 only with the consent and oversight of a parent or by a teacher or school for use as part of the school's curriculum, as explained in Section 8 below. An adult with a verified email address must download the App and create an account before permitting a child to use the App. Please contact us at email@example.com if you believe we have inadvertently collected information from a child under 13 without consent from a parent or guardian so that we may delete the information as soon as possible.
The following applies when a child uses the App with a parent’s consent and oversight:
- ? We collect the user name and age of a child provided by the parent. We collect usage information when a child or parent uses the App, which we associate with the parent’s information. We do not collect other personal information from the child.
- ? We use it to operate, personalize, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features of our App. We do not use this information for marketing or advertising purposes.
- ? We share the information only with our service providers, others in the CIE Vietnam family, and otherwise as described in Section 3 above. We do not share the child’s information with third parties for their own purposes.
- ? The parent can change the child’s user name at any time in the App. A parent should contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to permanently delete the child’s information from our systems.
8. School Use
Our App is available for teachers, schools and school districts (collectively referred to as ) to use as part of the School’s educational curriculum. Our App is designed to minimize the personal data collected and used, and we strive to implement best practices to protect the privacy of all of our users.
Our privacy controls and procedures include measures designed to protect personal information protected by child and student data privacy laws, including any data considered an “educational record” under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act () and personal information of students under 13 consistent with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act ( ).
The following applies when a child uses the App for school use under oversight of the child's School:
- What student information do we collect?
- When a teacher creates accounts for students, we ask the teacher to provide a user name for each child and information regarding the class grade. In order to protect child privacy, we recommend that teachers select a nickname or silly name, or use only the child's first name, and do not use the child’s real name.
- When a School uses a third party service, such as Clever, to create and administer accounts, we may access information from these services, including the student’s name.
- We collect usage information when a child uses the App, such as the time spent on the App, the features used, and progress made. We associate this information with the teacher's or school’s account information, to help personalize the learning experience and track a child’s progress. We may also collect other information from the device(s) used to download and access the Happy Parrot app (for example, the mobile carrier, device type, model and manufacturer, mobile device operating system brand and model, preferred language) to customize the function and appearance of the App. We may also collect analytics data to help us measure traffic and usage trends for the App and to understand more about the demographics of our users. We do not ask for or collect other personal information from the child.